The Manufacturing Engineer plays a vital role in the development and refinement of manufacturing processes and procedures. The Manufacturing Engineer will be tasked to identify opportunities for ongoing improvement and to achieve the highest possible levels of product quality and manufacturing efficiency. By engaging effectively with cross-functional partners within the business, this individual will drive manufacturing improvement projects and educate stakeholders related to manufacturing best practices. All efforts and initiatives within this role are gated to increase the output capability of the manufacturing facility, reduce manufacturing waste and cost, and yield the highest levels of product quality to further the reputation of the Company.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains a detailed understanding of Plug Power products and related manufacturing objectives and constraints.
- Evaluates manufacturing processes by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from technicians.
- Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors.
- Acts as a champion and driver for Lean/Six Sigma best practices while applying teachings and methodologies with the course of project work; provides training to others
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Assures product and process quality by designing testing methods; testing finished- product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes.
- Supports supplier quality initiatives by thoroughly understanding parts/components needs and limitations; drives expectations of performance with suppliers and addresses issues that arise.
- Champions and facilitates the engineering change process and all relevant communication/documentation
- Provides manufacturing decision-making information by calculating production, labor, and material costs; reviewing production schedules; estimating future requirements.
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Provides manufacturing engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations.
- Completes design and development projects by training and guiding technicians.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Represent Plug Power in a professional manner at all times and in all interactions.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- BS degree in engineering; mechanical, electrical, industrial
- Six Sigma green belt/black belt preferred
- Three (3) or more years of related work experience; experience within a high-tech manufacturing operation is highly preferred
- Proven track record of helping to drive manufacturing improvement projects
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the ability to translate complex methodologies to diverse audiences and stakeholders
- Uncompromising dedication to product quality
- Demonstrated analytical abilities with strong attention to detail
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software
- Ability to manage complex projects and multi-task effectively
- Ability to role model high standards of professionalism
- Excellent follow-through
- Must be driven and self-motivated
Visit Plug Power Careers page to apply.